The trapezoidal Piazza del Campidoglio Hill, bordered on the bottom from the Palazzo Senatorio official headquarters, and sides from the Palazzo dei Conservatori and the Palazzo Nuovo, was designed in its present form daMichelangelo, which devised the twelve-pointed star drawn on the pavement with travertine slabs and the cordonata. In the middle of the square, on a stand designed by Michelangelo, too, is, since 1997, a replica of the equestrian statue of Emperor Marcus Aurelius: the original, the only large Roman equestrian bronze coupling intact up to us, after ten years of painstaking restoration, has been placed in 2006 within the Capitoline museums, the old and ancient Roman Garden, under a large crystal of work time Carlo Aymonino.
On three sides of the square is surrounded by Renaissance palaces: Palazzo Senatorio on the background, on the left the Palazzo dei Conservatori and the Palazzo Nuovo on the right. The square opens forward on a grand staircase, which laCordonata, rising from the bottom and which is bounded above by the statues of Castor and Pollux.
The Palazzo dei Conservatori and the Palazzo Nuovo House the Capitoline museums, opened in 1735, with world-class exhibitions. In the transition between Palazzo Senatorio and Palazzo dei Conservatori enjoys a broad view over the whole city to Vatican. In summer in the square there are often free concerts.